Yesterday saw the 50th anniversary the death of actress, singer and model Marilyn Monroe. The controversial Ms Monroe known in early life as Norma Jeane Baker was a renowned sex symbol throughout the 1950s and 1960s, over half decade later her influence on style and pop culture is still strong.
Her arresting bouncing blonde locks, heavily mascara clad lashes and cherry red lips have be emulated in music, film and print by many, most noticeably Madonna, Christina Aguilera, Gwen Stefani, Scarlett Johansson and Lisa Marie Presley.
She has been the basis of style reinventions by the likes of Anna Nicole Smith, Drew Barrymore, Pixie Geldof, Kelly Osbourne, Lindsay Lohan and Lady Gaga.
She has been portrayed on screen by over 18 different actresses including Ashley Judd and Michelle Williams.
So despite her personal difficulties and the controversy she created it seems that it’s impossible to resist her influence or the chance to step into her shoes.
What made Marilyn Monroe a vintage fashion icon?
- She embraced her curves. You’d be hard pushed to find a picture of Marilyn wearing anything less that fitted and flattering (unless it’s nothing at all!). Take note; If your got bumps in all in the right places take advantage of them and lose the slouchies.
- She wore arguably the most memorable dress of all time while standing over a drafty subway grate on Lexington Avenue and 51st Street inThe Seven Year Itch. The dress was designed by William Travilla, 1955.
- Red lips are synonymous with the name Marilyn Monroe. Throughout the 1950s Marilyn sported various shades of red. Again, take note: it’s amazing how donning the right shade for you will make you immediately feel fabulous.
- Foundations were key, Marilyn was supported by the structural undergarments of the era pulling and pushing her parts in all the right directions. You could try vintage lingerie or don some modern day shapewear but either way if you’re taking a leaf from Marilyin’s book keep it structural.
- Peep toe shoes were a staple for Marilyn. It’s a way to show a little flesh in the most discrete of ways, just make sure you tidy your toes first!
Be inspired – Browse Marilyn Monroe wardrobe ideas at Polyvore.
Your say – What was your favourite Marilyn look?